Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Garden Beauty

Last week I borrowed the book Velvet Pears by Susan Southam from my local library. It is a lovely book and full of beautiful images of her garden, Foxglove Spires at Tilba Tilba, NSW. Although I am not envious or jealous of what others have, it has made me want to add a bit more beauty to my own garden. My garden is more practical than pretty but there is no reason why practical can't be pretty too.
A wheel barrow full of weeds might never be pretty but it has made room to add some bulbs and underplantings of herbs and groundcovers.
Dahlia: Lemon Snow
My favourite dahlia is always pretty. The only improvement I think could be made with dahlias is the addition of fragrance.

I do see the beauty in the vegetable garden although it is mostly just a practical area. This summer I have grown flowers amongst the vegetables and there is a certain beauty and joy in having an abundance of fresh herbs and vegetables that are homegrown and nourishing.


One of my favourite herbs is lavender. I have many varieties which flower at different times so there is usually at least one bush with flowers for us and the bees. The best part about lavender is that you can enjoy it just as much or maybe even more with your eyes closed.
Tracy




1 comment:

Paola said...

I've seen that book too, and a visit to Foxglove Spires is on my list of things to do one day. Like you, I do appreciate a bit of pretty among the practical.