Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Wet weather gardening

The wet weather has really penetrated the depths of the garden soil. Not like those showers that just settle the dust. Once the sun emerges from behind the cloud cover again, everything should really take off.
The broadbeans are coming along nicely and I will sow a successive crop soon. They are a favourite here.

This picture doesn't do justice to the cute little lettuce- Freckles. It is a bit overshadowed by the dill too.


There are still some potatoes in the garden. Despite already having a number of frosts, this purple congo variety are still putting on growth.

This is my meagre harvest of turmeric. I have grown it for a couple of years now after Julie sent me some tubers. I think I will only dry and grind one tuber and save the rest for next year. I am in an area that has hot dry summers and quite cold winters so not ideal for growing this type of plant but I won't let that stop me. The scent of the turmeric freshly dug is quite intense and conjures up pictures of spicy curries.
Tracy

2 comments:

Tania said...

It's nice to hear you have had the rain too. It would seem it was very wide spread over the country.

We have had a lot of rain over the past three weeks. Shall let the chooks out on the block tomorrow to eat some of the weeds that are overtaking my garden.

Linda said...

Wow, that would be an experience.

I love broad beans (fava beans) and I love to see them growing as well. Probably because my Mum used to grow them. We nearly grew some this year but were slightly too late.