Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Citrus Squares

I have a lot of citrus fruit on my bench. I have our own fruit and also some lemonade fruits and slightly sour oranges from a fellow freecycler. The oranges are a little more sour than those you would buy in the shop but, they are not too sour to eat. I like them on the tart side anyway.


With the abundance of citrus, I have made lime syrup and coconut muffins, fruit cordials and some orange and poppy seed cake. Thank goodness for the freezer so we don't have to eat it all at once. An old faithful recipe though for citrus (especially lemons), is Citrus Squares.

Citrus Squares
Ingredients
Pastry
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup plain flour
Citrus curd
3/4 cup white sugar
3 tbsp plain flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup fesh citrus juice
Method
Preheat oven to 180 deg C (350deg F)
Grease and line a square 20 x 20 cm baking tin.
Mix the pastry ingedients together in a bowl until they form a soft dough. Press the dough into the prepared tray and bake for 20 minutes.
To prepare the curd, mix the ingredients together in a bowl (I usually use the same bowl) and whick until smooth.
Remove the pastry from the oven after 20 minutes and pour the curd mixture over the top and return to the oven and bake for about 25 minutes.
Cool, slice into squares and dust with icing sugar.

2 comments:

Tania said...

Yum I love anything made with citrus.

I have an abundance of grapefruit if you have any ideas as to what I could do with them.

Have some mandarins coming along but no oranges this year.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Tania

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I love lemon bars. Those look amazing!