Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Novelty Gardening


My bath tub rice 'paddy'

Every year I try to grow something that I haven't grown before. Sometimes the new plants are a success, sometimes a failure. Sometimes they are a one off and sometimes they become a favourite. I have grown peanuts and popcorn which we always plant now even if they don't offer a lot for the space they take up.

This season's novelty in the garden is my rice 'paddy'. I am growing rice in an old cast iron bath tub. So far so good. It sprouted well and has been enjoying the wet weather and the resulting humidity. I don't think my bath tub rice growing experiment will revolutionise the Australian rice industry but it adds an element of interest to the garden.

My steps to start the rice were:
1. Fill an old tub with compost and soil.
2. Soak some brown rice for about 12 hours. Organic rice is probably the best as it may be the least processed.
3.Water the tub until it is sodden and then scatter the soaked rice on top.
4. The rice sprouted in a few days and has been growing nicely since.

Just like all gardeners, I am hopeful of a bumper crop but even one head of rice will be nice.
Tracy

8 comments:

Romi Jade said...

wow that is fantastic, good on you for giving it a go! I'd love to try it sometime myself

Rina ... also Chester or Daisysmum. said...

This is great Tracy. who would have thought to give this a go. Please update this post when the rice is a bit bigger, very interesting. Go any baby boys Suffolks this year, looking at swapping if you interested.Trying to find a good ram to breeding Unrelated!!

Tania said...

I shall not attempt to grow rice here, but you look like you have had great success. Hope you get to taste some of your crop. You will have to keep us updated on how it is going.

Paola said...

Hi Tracy, I love this idea. We have an old bath tub out the back not earning its keep. Another experiment for the list!

Janice said...

What a fun thing to try. I'd have never thought of trying to grow rice. It is the perfect season so far with so much rain. You have timed it well. Please give progress reports. I've never seen how the grain forms.

Lilbitbrit said...

I would never have thought of that what a fun idea, I may just have a go at it next year. Looking forward to seeing your results.

Christy
Lil Bit Brit

Linda said...

Wow. I like to try new things too, though haven't been as much as I would like. This is a good idea. I have a pond, though an experiment in a house to sell may not be a good idea.

Ruth @ Camellia Rose said...

How interesting... I must admit I don't even know what rice plants look like! Can't wait to see how you go about harvesting it.