Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Harvest Monday- 28 March

In my second attempt at posting a Monday Harvest post which is hosted by Daphne, I am late again. I am posting on Tuesday but I am hoping that it is still Monday somewhere in the world so I'm not too late. We have had the usual autumn harvests. Tomatoes, zucchini, baby leaves, beans, capsicums, chillies. On the menu has been stir fries, a Balti curry, homemade pasta and beef ragu, salads,leftover and even a night of lamb and veg. After an unfortunate incident with our freezer(the door was left ajar while we were away), I had to buy meat. I was a little shocked to say the least that 10 lamb chops cost me $28. I always thought of chops as a meal that was a bit humble but with prices like that, I guess the humble chop has become gourmet and I'm glad that we have some lambs almost ready for butchering. I made mint sauce to accompany the lamb along with salad and other vegies.
Mint Sauce

1 handful of mint leaves, finely chopped

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon vinegar(I use apple cider)

half teaspoon sugar

half teaspoon mustard


Place all ingredients in a jar, close the lid and shake.

I'm not sure of my total harvest tally for the week but in a few days I will post my total for the month. The rice is coming off tomorrow so I'm excited. I really do think I need to get out a little more, if the thought of harvesting a pstch of rice from an old bathtub is exciting. Tracy

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mum said to me the other day that Lamb is apparently really expensive at the moment and we should be looking at beef because its cheaper. I like to pick up stuff on special so had not noticed the price - more veggie meals for us. I do like lamb though - its nice when cooked right.

Kimmie said...

Lamb is very expensive at the mo!
We had an organic leg of lamb the other night and it was to die for.

Lisa said...

I wonder if that means lamb will be more expensive here, also. We always have it for Easter Sunday dinner - the shoulder chops, which are cheaper. But the package always says "Australian".

Maybe I should buy some ASAP, in case the price goes up!

BubzRugz said...

You have got my mouth watering with your home made mint sauce... yum.... I am a learner to home made pasta... only tried once a couple of weeks and it was not too successful... will give it another go as I have so enjoyed it when eaten elsewhere...
Hugz

Anonymous said...

You are not alone with your rice excitement! I am very interested to see how it all comes out. :)

kitsapFG said...

It's still Monday here! (8:40 pm on Monday as a matter of fact!)

Sorry about the freezer door ajar business - that would be totally frustrating!

Damo said...

Balti curry one of my favs, reminds me of my student days near Birmingham were a trip to the curry house was a cheap student staple!

Janice said...

It sounds like a few of us need to get our more. I've loved hearing of your rice progress. How sad about your freezer episode. I'm like you, chops were always just ordinary food, but we very rarely but them now and only as a treat. It's the same with shanks, which we used to buy as dog meat, are definitely only for human consumption nowadays.

Daphne Gould said...

I've always thought about growing rice. But it is just too cold here except a few mountain rices. Grain in general doesn't do well in our area because we get too much rain and humidity. It doesn't dry well. But I guess I grow dried beans and those aren't easy either. It can't be worse.