Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Harvest Monday- 4 April

Lots of fresh produce has passed through the kitchen this week. I have a glut of limes to be processed into all sorts of tart goodness. So far we have had lime sorbet, lime delicious and coconut muffins with lime syrup. The next phase will be to preserve some of these lovely fruits for later but right now we are just enjoying them fresh.

The March harvest tally for this year was 21.918kilograms which equates to about 48.32 pounds. Things will slow down a bit now as there will definitely be a lull between summer crops and winter bounty though when the pumpkins come in, they will bump up the totals.


The first three days of April I harvested limes, tomatoes, potatoes, cucumber, chilli, eggplant, zucchini, basil, thyme, beans, capsicum, rocket and spring onion. A grand total for the three days of 5.4kg.


My favourite way to cook and eat is not by deciding what to cook and then selecting the ingredients but by going outside, looking at the ingredients growing in the garden and letting that decide the best meal for us. The best days are when the fridge is empty but the garden is full.


This week we have eaten curries, homemade pizza, tomato soup, stir fry and last night just a platter of fresh veg, cheese and some pickles. Humble, rustic home cooked/prepared dishes that nourish the body and the spirit.


The change over from daylight savings back to standard time has been a boon after only two days. I'm a morning person and I feel like I have now got an extra hour in the morning to potter about. Maybe I will even have some time for some craft before everyone else wakes up.


Now it's Chilli Basil Beef stir fry for dinner. Quick, easy and delicious.


Pop over to Daphne's blog to see other delicious harvests.


Tracy

7 comments:

Kimmie said...

Love deciding what to cook the same way you do!

Lisa said...

Oh, my mouth is watering, Tracy! And you can grow limes - what a treat!

Anonymous said...

You have so much to choose from.... I don't enjoy cooking or choosing what to cook so maybe a big vege garden would have helped me.....

kitsapFG said...

I love to cook that way too... the garden fresh harvest decides what the menu should be! Unfortunately for me, the garden in our northern hemisphere garden is not producing anywhere near the bounty yours is your right now. ;)

Bec - Farmers Wife said...

Hi Tracy

Could you please share with us how you preserve some of your harvest, like the limes...........

Daphne Gould said...

I usually pick my produce when it is ready and put it in the fridge. Then for meals I look in the fridge and desperately try to use it all up. Occasionally I'm even successful.

Janice said...

It sounds like you are really enjoying your harvest. How's your rice going?