Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Slow Fast Food

The school holidays sometimes involves some sort of fast food consumption. I'm grateful that the kids didn't ask for any of the popular mass produced fast foods. On occasion we do have regular fast food but I much prefer the home grown and home cooked kind.They were all hungry today and sandwiches didn't appeal for lunch so I made them hot chips. I had just dug up some purple Sapphire potatoes and I was going to use them for gnocchi but I thought purple chips might look and taste good. Par-boiled, drained, coated in olive oil and roasted in a hot pre-heated oven (240 deg C). They come out crunchy and not greasy at all.

The heat from chips steamed up the lens a little but they did taste good. The white chips were good too. They were coliban potatoes and just as good as the purple. I'll give the gnocchi a go next time.


I was planning to give the garden a rest from potatoes next year but when I think about all of the heirloom varieties that are only available when homegrown, I don't think I want to give them up. If I have to rely on store bought, I won't be able to have as much fun in the kitchen.

Tracy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your potatoes look yummy! I truly wish blight hadn't visited my potatoes this year! :(

Liz said...

Yummy! I think I'll make those for dinner tonight...

I wanted to tell you - I once made gnocci out of purple potatoes, and when I mixed in the egg, the purple turned to grey. They were pretty unappetizing :(

Joolz said...

Wow, they look super yummo! I always do my chips in the oven too. Take away ones are nice but these are much better for you. The purple ones are really cool!

Cheers - Joolz

Ruth @ Camellia Rose said...

The purple spuds are really beautiful! It's great that they kept their color when cooking, a lot of purple/red veges seem to fade when heated.

Paola said...

Hi Tracy - I love home made chips too. Haven't been commenting but have really enjoyed your posts lately, especially the one on growing rice. I have an empty bathtub in the backyard and plan to give this a go.