Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

3-2-1 homemade pasta.

My usual method for making pasta is to follow the guidelines of 1 egg to every 100grams of flour and a dash of olive oil for good measure. Then whizz it in the food processor before kneading and rolling.

However sometimes when I cna't be bothered weighing, I use the 3-2-1 method I discovered whilst watching My Kitchen Rules earlier this year. My television viewing is usually restricted  by choice to a few favourites such as River Cottage and those are all on DVD so I was quite surprised that I was drawn in by MKR. 

 Nic and Rocco who were the runners-up used the 3-2-1 ratio for pasta making and it does work a treat.

Simply, 3 eggs, 2 cups of flour and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Easy. Not really a recipe at all. Whizz it in the food processor or mix by hand if you wish and then knead. Allow the dough to rest.

 Roll the dough using a pasta machine and there you have it.
 I let my rolled pasta sheets dry a little on my super-dooper pasta drying rack. Yes, it is a clothes airer. But it isn't necessary really.

It is only in the past 4 years I have been making my own pasta. I still keep packet pasta in the larder but with the food processor and the pasta roller, homemade is quite easy and once you get the hang of it, it really takes next to no time.

Tonight we are having lasagne because Tom is arriving home and it is his favourite. I'm sure over the next few weeks while he is at home we will be having quite a number of his favourites.

 I don't think he will be as keen on the side serving of baby turnips.
Or rainbow chard. But I will enjoy them. I love winter vegetables when it is winter.
Tracy
P.S. If you are looking for June!Photo a day pictures, please drop me a line and I will send you a link to see them.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks for reminding me about making pasta fresh. I have gotten out of the habit ( like 2 yrs ago!) and haven't got into it now I have more time. Love the 3-2-1 method too...anything to save time is good.
I am going to try it with spelt flour and see how I go.

Joolz said...

It does the heart good to cook for our loved ones, don't you think. When my girls come home from the city, I make whatever they ask for. Kirby usually requests a good thick steak cooked by Gus on the Weber, salad and spuds. She likes my eggs, poached or scrambled. Bri likes pasta too so that is usually on the menu too. They always go home with supplies of frozen tucker and some cookies or cake. It's my job!

Joolz

Joolz said...

... and I need a free weekend to dust off my pasta maker. Nic & Rocco's recipe sounds just right for me...

Joolz

Tania said...

You know hubby bought me one of those pasta making thingy's about a year ago. I put it in the cupboard and forgot about it until now. You reminded me that I had one lol! Thanks so much for the super easy recipe, I shall file that one away for when I finally get to make my own pasta...

I dont watch the cooking shows, there seem to be too many of them. I am an old fashioned cook like your grandma kind of girl :)

x