Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Pineapple Sorbet

 The first day of winter may seem a strange time for someone to be posting about a summery pineapple sorbet. Especially someone who likes to eat seasonally and locally. I haven't grown my own pineapples(yet) nor have I been to the supermarket to buy some. My parents went to visit my aunt in North Queensland a couple of weeks ago and returned bearing gifts. I did babysit their spoilt chihuahua so I really did earn my reward.

I'm not a huge fan of ice cream but I really like sorbet or a tangy gelato and besides, sorbet is easier to make than ice cream. So with more pineapples than we could manage before they were too ripe, I made pineapple sorbet. Sweet and tangy and very fruity. A little bit of summer right when it is being missed.

Pineapple Sorbet

Ingredients
1 pineapple
6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup water

Method
Remove the skin and core from the pineapple then chop the remaining fruit.
Combine the pineapple, sugar and water in a food processor and process until it is a smooth puree.
Chill for a couple of hours.
Churn in an ice cream maker.
Enjoy.

Now I have three pineapple tops hardened off and ready to plant with hopes of some homegrown pineapple somewhere in the future. My hopes are not high but I certainly won't succeed if I don't try.
Tracy 

4 comments:

Frogdancer said...

Get a thermomix. You can have 2 litres of sorbet in a minute. (Literally.)

Having said that: I haven't tried pineapple sorbet yet. Must do that. Thanks!

Lisa said...

Thanks, Tracy. I made some strawberry sherbet the other day, but I've never tried sorbet yet.

Becky said...

OH! That looks absolutely delicious!

Joolz said...

I haven't tried sorbet in my icecream maker yet - I do love the stuff though. Pineapple would be very refreshing but it's just a little too cold to think about such things... puddings do come to mind!