Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Pumpkin Fritters

 The weather is playing along today and I managed to hang a basket of washing on the line. Having damp washing drying all over the place is messy and distracting and I don't like it so it is good to have it caught up. We do have a clothes dryer but it is a last resort and believe me I would have used it yesterday but some rubber band type of thing in it has snapped and it is out of commission. Doesn't matter now.

I'm not just grateful to have the wet washing sorted but also to be able to go outside and actually enjoy it. I never buy pumpkins and it is easy to see why. We grow enough to last most of the year and besides when there are none left, there is always something that is in season and abundant to take its place. Up until now I have been picking the pumpkins as I wanted or needed plus a few to give away. Today however I harvested two wheelbarrows full. So we have plenty to share and enough to keep us going until we are tired of them.

Last night I made pumpkin fritters for dinner. The fritters do need something with them or they border on being bland. I had left over fritters for lunch today along with a poached  egg , lettuce and a little mayonnaise. It was good.


Pumpkin Fritters
Ingredients
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 cup grated pumpkin
1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bi carb
olive oil for frying
Method
In a large bowl combine the milk, sour cream and egg.
Stir in the pumpkin and zucchini.
Mix in the flour and bi carb well.
Heat the oil in a frying pan.
Place tablespoons of the batter in the hot oil and  cook until golden then turn to cook the other side.
Allow to cook until they are cooked all the way through.

I use two forks for turning, it works for me. The zucchini I used was frozen from the summer glut. I defrosted it in the microwave and drained the excess liquid in a colander. I don't like salt at all but some might find the mixture benefits from it.
Tracy

2 comments:

Becky said...

HMMM... I've never had these. Will have to print your recipe off to try later in the year as we have planted a LOT of pumpkins - it's going to get interesting out back thats for sure.

Abbeysmum said...

Thank you for the recipe, I must try it as I was given an organic, home grown pumpkin last week, I usually make Zuchini fritters and serve them with Tatziki to dip, YUUUMMMM, easily made with plain home made yoghurt.