Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Why autumn is great

The weather for one is fantastic. My only complaint is that we really need rain. The countryside is quite dry but the days are just so nice and clear. It is also the time whe nthe garden puts on a last hoorah before winter. That means it's time to preserve the bounty for later.
 

In my weariness, I have been a bit lax in the garden and apart from watering and a little pottering it isn't getting much attention at all. That is why the zucchini above are so huge. I just didn't get around to picking them in time. Not to worry, tomorrow they will begin their journey to pickledom. I've actually got a fair bit of pickling to do on Saturday.

 Spicy zucchini pickles, capsicum jam, green tomato and mustard pickles and something with chillies.

Bhut jolokia fruit

Probably some sort of chilli jam or sambal. All I can say about the Bhut jolokia chilli is that it did deliver in the heat rating. The claim is that it is the world's hottest chilli and it is definitely the hottest in my garden this year with the habanero coming in second place. The first one I picked a while back had no heat at all but they have developed and a full glass of milk was in order after a just a taste. I am a sook when it comes to hot and spicy but Tim concurs with me and for him the hotter the better.


Sunny Corner Farm toasted muesli

I didn't get around to making my creamed honey yet but a few days won't make much of a difference. It is a slow food after all in that it takes a while from the initial making for it to become what is recognised as creamed honey. But I did make something quick and everso easy with honey today. Toasted muesli.To make it I just mixed 800 grams of rolled oats with 1 cup of honey and 1/3 cup brown sugar and roasted/toasted it in a slow-medium oven with the fan on for 40 minutes. Allowed it to cool then added the fruit, nuts and seeds. The nuts and seeds could have been roasted along with the oats but I forgot at the time. In my mix today are oats, honey, brown sugar, cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, sultanas and cranberries. It is plenty sweet enough for me but I can assure you that Tim will drizzle honey on his for breakfast (or even dessert tonight).

Tracy

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Now, I would call that granola. When you add sweetener and oil, it turns from muesli to granola. :D So alas, because I gained a bit of weight, I have turned to the less-exciting muesli! Enjoy yours.

Kim said...

I don't think I could go near that chilli. We have the birds eyes chillis at the moment and they are way hot enough.We made chilli jam this week !
Looks like you have been busy!

trishie said...

I'm loving the cooler Autumn weather too; hope you get the rain that you need.

PS: Your zuchinnis are massive!! Do they still taste the same as the smaller ones?

Cross Stitch Crazy Mum said...

That museli looks tasty :) Loooove creamed honey. My Dad, Grandad and Uncles are beekeepers SO I get them to make it