Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Beautiful day






Just a few things that added beauty to my day.



Red oak leaf lettuce (a freebie from Agquip)
 Although my cold is persisting, I have been out and about in the garden and the day is absolutely stunning despite a gusty wind. It is just a beautiful day here.


I think when the radish get to about this stage of growth, it is time to sow another row in an attempt to have an almost constant supply. At the moment I have French Breakfast and Cherry Belle on the go but next row might be an heirloom mix from Diggers. Tim and the girls are big radish fans. Me not so much. Just one or two every now and then are enough.


Bees aren't supposed to be overly keen on windy weather (I don't blame them) but mine don't seem to mind. Except for really wet days, they are busy doing what they do. Certainly we don't check the hives when it is too windy because they aren't as placid then.


It's always a beautiful day when I have the chance to plant something. This morning I planted out a couple of capsicums and lettuces that my parents didn't want, and four herb pots I bought on the weekend- dogbane, rue, another thyme and a golden sage. And when I find an earthworm whilst digging (and I don't chop it in half) I'm very happy.


 Even the moths looked pretty today. There have been a lot of butterflies so far this spring.  I'm not sure if this has any significance or not but I like it.


And lastly the ranunculi are starting to bloom and although these ones are more simple than the big showy double blooms you can get, I really like them. I don't think this flower will last long, it has been blowing about and bending over but while it's here, it is very sweet.

This morning I also stirred the compost heap. It might not be a pretty task but there is definitely satisfaction in turning scraps and lawn clippings and manure into such wonderful stuff. I would say for sure that compost is greater than the sum of its parts. The beauty is there, you just have to look closer or blur your vision a bit.

Perhaps I am just in a particularly good mood. I even found the hissing mother duck sitting on her pile of who knows how many eggs kind of cute.

I hope you have had a good day too with at least a little bit of beauty.

Tracy

6 comments:

Joolz said...

Another very cool day here, threatening to rain but not. Eventually it will get into the early 20's this spring, I'm sure. That would be lovely!

Cheers - Joolz

Kris@Littlebushshack said...

HI Tracy,I Love reading your updates .Hope your feeling better soon . Wishing you a Happy Birthday for friday and a bright and sparkly weekend.
Kris

Kim said...

What lovely closeup shots. There is nothing takes a better photo than a bee!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Great shots! Especially that ranunculus bloom. So pretty. I'm glad you had such a wonderful day! :)

Sue Frelick said...

Beautiful photos of the butterflies and bees. I have tried to do that for years and never capture one very well. Beautiful spring days personify hope I think. I'm glad you had a good one. :-)

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

Beautiful photos. Made me laugh about the hissing mother duck. :) I've got two chickens doing exactly the same thing, although the eggs are ceramic.